Re: [REVIEW REQUESTED][ARIA] Table roles

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex.
>
> Comments inline.
>
> On 04/02/2015 09:56 AM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com
>
> [...]
>
> >     1. https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/tables/aria/aria.html#aria-colcount
> >     2. https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/tables/aria/aria.html#aria-rowcount
> >

> > I don't thumb up on these until I understand why they are allowed on
> > elements other than table-like containers. I guess I missed some
> > discussion where it was explained so can I have some summary on it
> please?
>
> I *believe* the use case had something to do with backwards
> compatibility or ATs that access things via the DOM or ... something to
> that effect. I'll leave it to someone who knows the answer to answer it.
> :) (Merely responding now to be clear that I'm not ignoring your
> question or concern.)

Thank you, Joanie.

> >     3. https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/tables/aria/aria.html#caption
> >

> > I don't see a need for it as long as the author can label the table. Do
> > I miss something?
>
> If the caption is caret-navigable, it should have an accessible object.
> For my particular platform, if the author used some other role (label?)
> and that other role was a valid owned element of a table, and user
> agents mapped it to ATK_ROLE_CAPTION, then I wouldn't have any objection
> to not having the role in ARIA.
>
> That said, I'll leave it to others to chime in. I was tasked with
> proposing all the roles. Caption seemed like it might be something
> authors would find helpful, so I proposed it. But as we saw with tbody,
> thead, and tfoot, I don't always get it right. ;)

I'm curious why you need role caption at all. I assumed that If you
encounter a table then you read its label and use table interface to
navigate it. Do you make something different? For the reference, caption
and summary methods for table were deprecated in IA2 because they dupe
labelledby and describedby relations. In case of ARIA I guess people do

> [...]
>
> >     7. https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/tables/aria/aria.html#gridcell
> >
> > Do we need role="gridcell" having role="cell"?
>
> One is a widget/control; one is not. I think we need both.

Yes but same time you don't argue to have gridrow role. I see having
gridcell is reasonable from spec structure point of view as a host of
aria-selected attribute but I don't see a good reason to have it from
author point of view.