From: James Nurthen [mailto:james.nurthen@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:57 PM
To: Cynthia Shelly; public-pfwg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Action 1500 - fixed zoom

Cynthia,
Please see inline...
On 10/8/2014 3:22 PM, Cynthia Shelly wrote:
I see it as an accessibility issue for users with mild to moderate vision impairment (and everyone over 40).  Users should not be required to set a global setting to see a particular thing.  Global font settings also don't address the scenario where the too-small thing is not text.  Profile pictures are my favorite example, but icons, buttons and links are sometimes too small too.
These are usability issues. I agree that I too find it annoying when web sites have turned off zoom for no good reason - but there are certain UI models where it is would be very inconsistent and confusing if zoom were allowed. If the UI has been designed well then all of the things that you cite would not be an issue. Profile pictures, for example, should allow a user to tap on the picture to open a full size zoomable version of the picture. Icons should not be too small if well designed. They could also use icon fonts and also respond to the global settings.
Buttons and links in a native application should respond to the font size settings.

I think we should make some recommendations, via WCAG techniques and failures, about where applications should support zooming, when it makes sense to override it with custom zooming, and when font sizing is sufficient.
I think we have to agree to disagree about this although I have no problem if someone wants to create some positive techniques around this or some combination failures where zoom is suppressed and there is no other way (either OS or application specific) to increase the font size a sufficient amount.
It is clearly not a WCAG failure if zoom is supressed and if text can be resized to 200% by some method and I would be adamantly opposed to any failure which stated as much. If you think there should be a failure for this then you would have to look to the next version of WCAG. However, personally I think that there should not be any WCAG requirements for any specific technology such as zoom. What happens when technology advances and zoom becomes an obsolete way of meeting this requirement?

Since I see it as an accessibility issue, I'm leery of a market argument.  Users with disabilities are too often in the 20% of the 80-20 rule.
If you are citing anyone over 40 as being in this category I think the market is large enough to be listened to :)

Regards,
James