Re: Best practice for aria-disabled and keyboard focus management

I agree that there should be no normative language stating that certain types of disabled controls should be focusable or not. Whether they are "focusable" depends on several things: the platform UI guidelines, the type of control, the user's settings, and even what type of "focus" you're referring to.

You're right that it's more fitting for the APG than the spec, but I don't see any harm in stating (in either document) that authors should make ARIA-based controls behave like native controls to the best of their ability.