RE: ARIA annotations open issues

Good feedback. I'll pass it along.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Craig [mailto:jcraig@apple.com]
Sent: Friday, May 9, 2014 4:08 PM
To: Cynthia Shelly; Christopher Gallello
Cc: Michael Cooper; public-pfwg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ARIA annotations open issues

On May 9, 2014, at 3:42 PM, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com> wrote:

> As you may remember, UIA doesn't support reverse relations.  ms-aria-flows-from was how IE worked around that issue.

That makes it sound like this was just an API mapping decision, which doesn't answer the question of why it's exposed as web API on Element. IE could maintain the reverse relationship internally and then just expose a new property in UIA. It's fine to have a "UIAFlowFrom" property in UIA. I'm asking why there is an Element.xmsAriaFlowFrom property and the associated x-ms-aria-flowfrom="" content attribute exposed to web authors. That seems like an implementation detail that's been accidentally exposed as web API.

If there is a reason @aria-flowsfrom this should be web API, the working group should discuss it. If it's just to support UIA, Trident/IE should hide this as a internal implementation detail and deprecate the web API.