Re: ARIA annotations open issues

Hi James,

Am 08.05.2014 23:12, schrieb James Craig:
> Action to load annotations
> There should be a way for the screen reader to ask the website to load the annotation if hidden through some new protocol. IndieUI is one possible option here.
> Marco, IIRC, this was your request. Will you please remind us why you think it's critical that the screen reader user have access to information that is not available in the mainstream interface?

This was in reference to Word for Windows where a sighted user could
just hover the mouse over the comment indicator and see the comment text
pop up in a tool tip, without opening the comments pane. JAWS and other
screen readers provided the same info as soon as the regular editing
cursor landed on the comment or footnote or whatever indicator, to give
a blind user the same level of access without requiring them to open the
pane.

So if in Word for the web, the sighted user also has to perform an
action to actually make the comment visible like clicking an option in a
context menu rather than just hovering the mouse over the annotation
indicator, this point can be dropped. I was under the impression that a
similar mechanism like in Word for Windows would work here, but if it
isn't, this point is not necessary.

Marco

(Note: Dropping my Mozilla e-mail address from recipients since I'm
subscribed to this list via Gmail.)