Re: Proposed Roles and Properties for adding TABLE support for ARIA 1.1, ACTION-1397, and ACTION-1403

Responding on-list to the points we discussed in the call a month or so ago.

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> Summary of Changes
>
> New Roles
> -----------------
> table

Agreed.

> caption

Not necessary. Already covered by aria-labelledby and potentially new label role.

> colgroup
> col

I don't think these are necessary for 1.1, at least not until we get the 2.0 pivot table stuff.

> tbody
> thead
> tfoot

Not necessary. Already covered by rowgroup role.

> tr

Not necessary. Already covered by rowgroup role.

> td

Agreed. Need "cell" role (not td) in addition to "gridcell". Gridcell should potentially just be renamed.

> th

Not necessary. Already covered by columnheader and rowheader roles.

> New Properties
> -----------------
> aria-colspan
> aria-rowspan

Agreed.

> aria-headers

Not necessary. Already covered by aria-labelledby.

> aria-scope

Not necessary. Already covered by columnheader and rowheader roles.

> Details
>
> role=table
> -----------------
> Superclass Role:
> region
>
> Subclass Roles:
> none
>
> Base Concept:
> HTML table
>
> Required Owned Elements:
> tr
> tbody -> tr
> thead -> tr
> tfoot -> tr

See notes above. This should match row and rowgroup->row like grid does.

> Optional Owned Elements:
> caption

See notes above.

> Supported States and Properties:
> aria-level

What does level mean on a table?

> aria-multiselectable

Why? I think this should apply to "grid" but not static tables.

> Name From:
> author
>
> Accessible Name Required:
> True

… removed all the other proposed roles besides "cell" below. See notes above for reasons the other roles are not necessary.

> role=td

role="cell" (static version of gridcell)

> -----------------
> Superclass Role:
> section
>
> Base Concept:
> HTML td
>
> Required context:
> tr

row

> Supported States and Properties:
> aria-rowspan (new property)
> aria-colspan (new property)

Agreed. These should apply to both cell and gridcell.

> aria-headers (new property)
> aria-scope (new property)

See notes above why these are not necessary.

@aria-selected does not make sense on a static table. It does for grid/gridcell, but not table/cell.

> Name From:
> contents
> author

Should this be "contents" only?

> Accessible Name Required:
> True

I think this is wrong. Empty cells should be allowed.