RE: ACTION-1442 Default state of aria-current

Matthew King wrote:

“> At the moment the proposed scope for aria-current is a navigation
> container, but a navigation container isn’t a collection. The more I
> look at this, the more I wonder whether aria-attribute should be
> scoped to a list, and for its default state to be false.

We need to be careful about the scope and not be too limiting. This could be useful both in static lists or collections or in widgets. Consider the following use cases:

1. A static list of wizard steps presented in an SL, OL, or UL where visual styling is used to indicate the current step. In this case, we want aria-current="true" on the LI that is the current step.

2. A tree widget that is used in a left nav for site navigation. In this case, we want aria-current="true" on the treeitem that represents the currently displayed page. Note that this is important because some navigation trees also support other operations that require selection so using aria-selected is not a good choice for indicating which is currently displayed. Listbox can be used for the same purpose.

3. Any collection of links in a list, set of lists, table, or grid used for navigation.”

With the exception of navigation links within a table or grid, don’t those use cases all pertain to list containers?

In the case of links within a table or grid, I’m not sure there is a use case for aria-current. Partly because I’m not sure we should be condoning table or grid containers for navigational links, and partly because they’re not collections and aria-current is essentially about identifying the current element within a collection.

Léonie.