RE: Microsoft IE bug regarding aria-describedby and the accessibility tree Description property

Please resubmit the bug.  A lot has changed since 2010.

From: Bryan Garaventa [mailto:bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Monday, June 9, 2014 2:13 PM
To: 'Steve Faulkner'
Cc: 'PF'
Subject: RE: Microsoft IE bug regarding aria-describedby and the accessibility tree Description property

Thanks, that is really bizarre.

According to the link referenced:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms528445(v=VS.85).aspx#acc_elements

Accessible elements include only the following:

·         a<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535173(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         applet<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535183(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         area<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535185(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         body<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535205(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         button<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535211(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         document<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms531073(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         embed<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535245(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         frame<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535250(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         frameSet<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535251(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         iframe<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535258(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         img<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535259(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         input<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535260(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         marquee<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535851(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         object<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535859(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         select<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535893(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         table<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535901(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         td<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535903(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         textArea<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535904(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         TextRange<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535872(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         th<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535908(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         window<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535873(v=vs.85).aspx>

Then the following is stated:

The following elements are nonaccessible:

·         b<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535189(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         div<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535240(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         i<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535257(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         span<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535895(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         u<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms535913(v=vs.85).aspx>
·         Any custom elements that are not part of the HTML standard.

The only thing that defines what is meant by an element that is ‘not accessible’, is this at the beginning:

Some HTML elements—images, text, and links—are accessible, and some are not. Each accessible element (tag) in an HTML document is represented in the document's accessibility hierarchy. For more information about the accessibility hierarchy, see About Active Accessibility Support<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms528415(v=vs.85).aspx>.

Does anybody know what is meant by an element not being accessible? This is confusing me because it doesn’t appear to be a matter of active versus non-active elements, since TABLE, TD, and THs are supported, but other static element container types are not.