Re: Proposal for New ARIA Roles for SVG Information Graphics (agenda+)

Hi Doug

I would be happy to hear you ideas if you think it would help. If  you want to chat on Skype , my handler is lisaseeman.

My two cents would be that we should make the ARIA coverage of the concepts as thorougher as possible - even  if the syntax exisits already in SVG. People can use the native SVG, but ARIA would be complete, and that would be useful if some other platform needed it.

All the best

Lisa Seeman

Athena ICT Accessibility Projects
LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:16:09 +0200 Doug Schepers<schepers@w3.org> wrote ----

Hi, Lisa–

Actually, I have a proposal (and script library) for native graphs in
SVG, called SVG Connectors [1]. That way, graphs wouldn't need ARIA; if
graphs were native constructions in SVG, both visually and "logically",
they would have the benefit of being accessible without so much extra
authoring effort. I have to carve out some time (at least a couple
weeks) to revise this spec and make it more rigorous and detailed, but
the SVG WG has tentatively accepted it as a deliverable already.

About the aim being higher, this is what I was cautioning about. I've
thought pretty deeply about this for a few years, and I agree that there
are some simple ways to categorize most charts, but I want to start from
clear use cases, like the ones we had for the sonifier.

I'd love to talk to you more about this at your convenience.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/connector/SVGConnector.html

Regards-
-Doug