Re: addition of HTML role requirement mappings

Hi Steve,

Well, I look at this like an ask more than a tell as the whatwg spec. is
not implemented and it is living. What is in the W3C spec. works - this is
not meant to be negative. I think Hixie does not like these elements having
no role and neither do we.

That said:

The grid role will not work for table because a grid is meant to be
interactive and navigable. A table is not. We have an issue already logged
for ARIA to add table support so table will have a "table" role at some
point
Gridcell we have a similar issue. So, it is nice the editor has put an
"ask" in here but we are going to have to work out the technical issues
going forward. So, many of these will likely change. I would not put these
in the W3C HTML spec. a this time with the exception of <tr> and role="row"
which I believe is already there.

We will let you know when we have resolved the table issue in the ARIA task
force. The goal of ARIA 1.1 is to fill gaps like these in HTML 5.1 without
taking an enormous amount of time to do it.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger