Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC); Publish 1 ARIA FPWD & 2 ARIA Heartbeats

There is a lot of discussion of the text role, with which I still have
significant concerns, and of text related to aria-hidden. But, is
consensus on major changes in the spec required before a heart beat
publication? If so, I think there should be further discussion of the text
role before publication.

I am also concerned with the accessibility of the spec itself. The respec
generated html needs quite a bit of work still. Perhaps it is fine to put
the heart beat out with such issues. I would rather we didn't. But, if it
is major work to correct them, it may be better to just get a draft out.

Issues:

1. Section heading levels are not correct. Every section, regardless of
its level, has h2. So for example, sections5, 5.1, and 5.1.1 are all H2
instead of H2, H3, and H4.

2. the permalinks are included inside the heading tags. It would improve
readability if they were not a child of the heading.

3. Headings have aria-describedby pointing to the 1st paragraph after the
heading. I do not see the benefit. The downside is extra verbosity. I
don't think it models best practice to use aria-describedby in a document
in this way.

4. All the notes have heading tags. If the notes are going to have
headings, then I believe they should be a subheading under the heading of
the section in which they exist. For example, a note in a level 4 section
like 5.1.1 would have an H5.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com