Re: ACTION-1440: landmarks section uses "region of page" in prose even though "region" is not a landmark

Fred, this proposal maintains support for the generic landmark region you
describe without making the landmark role concrete. Those product teams
can continue their current practice of using role="region" in conjunction
with aria-labelledby.
In fact, adopting this proposal would codify that what those product teams
are already doing is appropriate. The proposal says to:
1. expose role region when the region is labeled.
2. Defining a landmark so that it is either an element with a specific
"type" of content or a region with a label that identifies the purpose of
the content.
3. Suggesting to AT with a "MAY" statement that it is appropriate to treat
labeled regions as landmark regions.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com