From: Joseph Scheuhammer [mailto:clown@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2014 9:14 AM
To: Gunderson, Jon R; W3C WAI Protocols & Formats
Subject: Re: [ACTION-1520][ISSUE-679] Proposed definition of "value" for form control content and aria attributes (updated)

Jon,

While the term "value of a control" is used in the accessible name calculation, it is used elsewhere.  For example, it is referenced from section 5.6.2 "Widget Values" in the core-aam:
http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#mapping_additional_widget-value

Quoting the first sentence, where the word "value" points to the current glossary entry (my emphasis):
"Some WAI-ARIA roles are widgets that have a particular *value* within a range of values."

I think we need something more general here that captures the concept of "value" as it is used for controls and widgets.  I suggest removing any text regarding names, descriptions, aria-labelledby, aria-describedby, etc. from your definition.  For example, how about rewording the first couple of sentences:

"Definition of 'Value (of a control)':

The value of an element or form control is defined by the following properties of the element, using the following order of precedence:
..."

Regarding the items in the precedence, I'm not sure that the ones involving @alt, @title, and @aria-label play a role with respect to "value of a control" -- still thinking about it...

Thanks.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -