From: ahby@aptest.com [mailto:ahby@aptest.com] On Behalf Of Shane McCarron
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:10 AM
To: James Craig
Cc: Janina Sajka; W3C WAI Protocols & Formats
Subject: Re: Report on event listener investigation

Goodness sake.  You walk away from your computer for a few hours.....

James, you will find it way more difficult to irritate me than by correctly using an English word to characterize my proposal.  For the avoidance of doubt, I did not read your initial response nor any of your subsequent communications as anything other than your honest belief that developing an extension spec is a bad idea.

Janina, thanks for jumping in when you thought I was being maligned.  It was kind if you.  But really, I can take care of myself and my skin is pretty thick after ~30 years in standards ;-)

Now, as to the substance: Yes, I presented alternatives that included preparing an extension specification for the DOM.  I did that because 1) it was clear there was existing and possibly entrenched opposition in the DOM community, and 2) it was my impression that the only use cases we had for this feature were A11Y related.

James, you know more about the people involved and the use cases than I do.  If there are non-A11Y use cases, or if there is a path forward that does not require us to write yet another specification, then I am all for it.  It's not like we don't all have enough work to do already!

Finally, I will remind everyone that one of the things I mentioned in the call is that there already exists a jQuery extension that implements a common interface to expose event listeners.  I know that jQuery is not ubiquitous, nor is it native.  But if the problem we are trying to solve is to help with testing of our specs and conformance to our specs, relying upon jQuery is not the worst answer for the nonce.

Let's all settle down.  Let's gather use cases.  Let's find a path forward.  Or let's agree that we don't really need this.  And finally, remember that in the end all of us have the same macro agenda.  We are ensuring that the web (and other web-like devices) is accessible for everyone. It requires all of us working together to make that happen.