Re: Question about a menubutton with a default action

Marco,

The fact that there are 2 click targets with 2 different purposes is a
very important aspect of this problem to consider. There really are 2
controls, not one. I think we need to be very careful with the idea of
combining them into one control for keyboard users. It creates high
potential for user mistakes. Each of these functions (performing a command
like remember password and opening a menu of other related commands) needs
its own focusable element in the UI just like it needs a separately
clickable target. For clarity, each function needs its own label and
properties.

I strongly agree that there are implementation problems with this kind of
control in Firefox. However, I think the two biggest problems are:
1. access to the buttons is time dependent; the buttons seem to disappear,
or at least access to them goes away.
2. An access key is required. There is a general lack of keyboard access
and discovery for not only buttons like remember password but all toolbar
buttons in the header area of the browser.

I do not think the fact that there are 2 tab stops for the remember
password control is necessarily a problem. It is certainly not ideal, but
the way to improve it
depends on how keyboard access to the toolbar area in Firefox would be
designed.

I would like to see a single tab stop for each functional set of buttons
in the header frame. Within a set, which would have role toolbar, the user
would left/right arrow to the different buttons within that toolbar.
Tabbing from address bar would go to search then to the first button in
the first toolbar. The remember password command button would be in one of
these toolbars in the header. The "Other password options" menu button,
which would look like a down arrow,  would be right next to the remember
password button.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com