RE: OT Re: What is the expected behavior of scrollable divs within touch screen devices, and does ARIA apply?

"Bryan Garaventa" <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote on 04/28/2014
10:59:48 PM:
> Back to my original question though, which I’ll rephrase to
> hopefully make it clearer, what is the expected behavior supposed to
> be when an explicitly named region/landmark is declared within a
> touch screen device? More specifically, is this information supposed
> to be conveyed to non-sighted AT users of that device? How does a
> non-sighted user know where there is an explicitly labeled region/
> landmark on a page within a touch screen device? This is what I was
> hoping to get an answer to, and the question is not platform,
> browser, or AT specific.

If you are asking about expectations conveyed by the the WAI-ARIA
specification, they are the same for all devices on all platforms with any
kind of interface. That is, the specification does not tell any user agent
exactly what to reveal to the end user or how to reveal it. The
specification stops at the level of the accessibility API for that
platform. It specifies what should be in the accessibility tree and what
events should be triggered. But, it is left to the developers of user
sagent and assistive technologies to decide how their users will benefit
from that accessibility information.

That scope limitation for WAI-ARIA 1.0 was necessary to get it done. Now,
as many of us are finding out, there are many cases where some additional
direction, if not normative requirements than informative guidance, is
really needed for UA and AT developers.

For now, you must appeal to reason.

VoiceOver does let you navigate by landmark region and informs you when
the focus crosses a region boundary. However, it does not have a "where am
I" gesture that enables you to know where the focus is on the screen and
whether that focus is inside of a region. The suggestion I submitted to
them is that 3-finger single tap should be extended to do that. Since the
boundaries are not rendered on the screen, it would be rather difficult to
enable them to be found with direct touch. Although, I can imagine it
being done.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com