RE: OT Re: What is the expected behavior of scrollable divs within touch screen devices, and does ARIA apply?

Bryan,

I agree with the value statements you have provided, but would like to
suggest considering an alternative approach of a property aria-scrollable
that could be applied to any type of region, document, or article. We may
also consider allowing it to be used on grid and the new table role. All
suche elements present the same types of issues on small screens and
especially with touch interfaces operated via screen reader.

This is also similar to the idea that regions can become interactive
widgets with the use of aria-expanded -- a design pattern not currently
addressed by the specification or authoring practices but one with merit.
I can similarly imagine a landmark region that is focusable, expandable,
and scrollable.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com