Re: Proper use of labelledby vs describedby and definitions

With regards to the use of ARIA in "static" documents, I'd like to comment that in publishing there are use cases for describedBy when an alt property is not sufficient to provide a description. For example the publisher may not wish to provide both a pie chart and a table for visual users, but the content for a non-visual user is best provided by a hidden HTML table that is referenced by describedBy. In the case of digital eBooks in EPUB 3, which is built on HTML5, sometimes this table is added by university Disabled Student Services (DSS)  or volunteers to projects like Bookshare.org<http://Bookshare.org>. The tables are kept hidden as not to "alter" the presentation that the publisher intended.

HTML's longdesc was meant for this purpose, but as other visual events like canvas came to HTML, a better mechanism was needed. ARIA 1.1 proposes describedAt as an alternative that combines the best of longdesc and describedBy, in order words the use of URLs and the applicability beyond image elements.

The ability to use an external resource pointed to by describedAt enables descriptive resources or alternate modalities to be more easily reused and improved for digital eBooks that are "static", have been already packaged in EPUB, but may not yet have adequate descriptions.

I'd recommend checking out http://diagramcenter.org where much reference information can be found as to use case for standards, alternatives for images and tools for description.

Gerardo

Gerardo Capiel
VP of Engineering