Re: Extensible ARIA?

On Apr 5, 2014, at 10:16 AM, Léonie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com> wrote:

> Matthew King wrote:
>> “In this discussion, we are fast approaching the need for standardized ways of ensuring operational hints can be spoken for any widget in a non-visual interface. I don't know any other way the combination of control patterns associated with a previously unencountered "FooWidget" could be made perceivable and understandable.”
>
> Agreed. This is probably the biggest obstacle for AT users on the web. The belief that a widget is inaccessible or broken, not because it’s either of those things, but because the interaction is alien and unfathomable.

I'm assuming you mean something like "Press Control + J key to perform Action X."  Is that right? What would this mean to a user that did not have an Control key, or did not have a keyboard for that matter? What about a user on a platform that had both but expected the primary modifier to be something other than Control? Wouldn't it be better to convey programmatically the actions that could be performed and let the AT or mainstream user interface perform these in a way that is independent of one specific physical interface?