Re: ISSUE-636 ACTION-1398 Provide spec. text for aria-roledescription

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 23:51:30 +0200, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>

>> The suggested spec text includes (my emphasis) " ...Provides a human
>> readable, *localized* string name for the role of the element."  I'm
>> not entirely sure what W3C English spelling policy is -- American only,
>> Commonwealth only, or a mixture.
>
> I think it's fine to have the term used in prose with either spelling…
> Editor's choice if the W3C style guide does not specify.

W3C policy for prose is to use US English in all its official text.

>> To avoid that issue, use l7d.  Then again, maybe the official policy is
>> that kind of acronym is not allowed either.
>
> In spec prose, either spelling is preferable to the abbreviation for the
> sake of clarity.
>
> In an attribute name or value token, my opinion is that neither spelling
> nor the abbreviation is acceptable due to web author confusion with
> spelling or clarity of meaning.

Agreed.

Explaining to developers who have know a limited amount of english which
spelling variant they have to use is a recipe for mistakes. Either alias
the two variants, or choose something easier to get right.

cheers

Chaals