Re: ISSUE-636 ACTION-1398 Provide spec. text for aria-roledescription

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I think we should *eventually* add roles for all of
> these that we've mentioned. Absolutely we should.

Would it be a valid use case for aria-roledescription to be used for an
application-specific role that's more useful to the user than a generic
role - but specifically one that we're never likely to standardize?

For example, a webmail client might define an "attachment" object, or a
presentation editor might define a "slide" object, and so on - in the case
where this object doesn't really behave quite like any standard role. Of
course it'd still need a valid ARIA role as a fallback, one that's close
enough that it will put AT into the right mode - but the role description
will tell the user a lot more about what it is.

- Dominic