Re: ISSUE-636 ACTION-1398 Provide spec. text for aria-roledescription

On 04/02/2014 12:24 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> OK. Knowing something is a chart is incredibly inadequate

I know. And the same holds true for video. I included that example for a
couple of reasons:

1. James had it in his list of examples and asked what we thought.

2. It's an(other) example of where ATK has an existing role which is
   already localized. Thus, as with video, mapping chart to the AtkRole
   now will make it at least as accessible the role description will.

   I say at least, because when you use a real role, the screen reader
   can do things like: a) include the number of charts (or videos) as
   part of its "document summary" feature. b) provide quick keys to
   jump to the next/prev chart (or video). c) respect the user's braille
   verbosity setting, which may include not displaying certain roles in
   braille, or displaying them via a symbolic indicator, or displaying
   them using a localized abbreviation. Bit of a shame to lose that....

> - there are
> lots of different types of charts and navigation strategies to operate
> them. That is why we are forming a subteam to address graphics. I am
> going to be bringing Fred Esch in from IBM Watson Analytics to work with
> us on this effort. I would appreciate your participation. With SVG and
> canvas we will be able to navigate into and around charts. You may have
> met him at CSUN. He presented on the RAVE Rapid Adaptive Visualization
> Engine used in IBM analytics.

I would love to participate. Thank you!! :)

--joanie