Re: ISSUE-636 CTION-1398 Provide spec. text for aria-roledescription

> James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote on 04/01/2014 10:41:05 AM:
> 5. Component libraries like SAP or Oracle might use role="dialog"
> aria-roledescription="date picker"

I would like to have many more practical examples of how we think this
feature may be used on interactive widgets to stimulate further discussion
of how limited the feature should be in ARIA 1.1.

To make a point, I will pick on this date picker dialog example even
though I realize James may not have offered it as  a compelling or
critical use case. As a screen reader user, I think I would prefer to have
role=dialog and aria-label="date picker" instead of role="dialog" and
aria-roledescription="date picker". The reason is that that the
information that the datepicker is contained in a dialog is extremely
valuable to me as user whereas "date picker" as a role tells me nothing
about the interaction model.

At the moment, my imagination is not revealing a compelling case for
recommending or even allowing aria-roledescription on a dialog.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com