Re: SVG2 Accessibility User Agent Implementation Guide

* Janina Sajka wrote:
>Bjoern Hoehrmann writes:
>> Could you explain why the SVG WG and PFWG cannot, like other groups do,
>> publish the document jointly, or how that would be worse if the goal is
>> to maximise chances that the result can be implemented royality-free?
>
>I think you misunderstand. Let me try to explain.
>
>*	We are proposing joint publication. This means that PF and Svg
>*	would each need to agree to the publication, at each significant
>*	stage, e.g. FPWD, Last Call, CR, etc.

The proposal is "However, the actual publishing group would be the PFWG,
and therefore the work would fall under the PFWG IP policy. This would
mean that people would need to join the PFWG to participate in the task
force".

One scenario to consider is that someone implements the Guide after it
has become a Recommendation, and then gets sued by a troll over "IP"
currently held by a SVG WG member (that later sells it to the troll).
The troll argues that the "IP" was never held by a PFWG member, so any
procedural safeguards to avoid this scenario are irrelevant.

A semi-formal understanding between the SVG WG and the PFWG, that the
PFWG will not publish the document if the SVG WG objects, is not a
binding obligation for all SVG WG members to disclose, license, etc.
any relevant "IP", and they are the most likely to hold or otherwise
know of it.

>So, I'm unclear what you mean when you say: "Could you explain why the
>SVG WG and PFWG cannot, like other groups do, publish the document
>jointly, or how that would be worse ..."

http://www.google.de/search?q=site:www.w3.org/TR+published+jointly has
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-mediacapture-streams-20120628/ as first
example, "This document is a regular Working Draft, published jointly by
the Web Real-Time Communication and Device APIs Working Groups as
Working Draft."