RE: <dialog> and the

Rich Schwerdtfeger
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org wrote on 01/28/2009 01:40:19 PM:

> Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
> Sent by: w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org
>
> 01/28/2009 01:40 PM

> "Cain, Sally" <sally.cain@rnib.org.uk>
>
> cc
>
> Aaron M Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org,
> w3c-wai-pf@w3.org, w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org
>
> Subject
>
> RE: <dialog> and the
>

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Cain, Sally wrote:
> >
> > I think we need to realise that many people who write html are not
> > techies and this is where this subtlety will prove even more confusing.

> > I am an advocate of simplicity and clear language and as such I think
it
> > is much more preferable to call the html5 tag exactly what it is.
>
> It represents a dialog... the problem isn't that the HTML5 element isn't
> called what it is, the problem is that the word that is used to describe
> what it is also happens to have another meaning in the tech world.
>
> The reason I suggested renaming the ARIA keyword is that "dialog" is an
> abbreviation for what the ARIA keyword means (it's a dialog box, not just

> a dialog, that it is referring to), whereas the HTML5's element name is
> not an abbreviation (one refers to dialogs as just dialogs).
>
> I think that non-techies are far less likely to be confused by this
(since
> they don't know that the computer things are called "dialog boxes") than
> techies, to be honest. If non-techies are the concern, then I would be
> even more of the opinion that the ARIA keyword is the one that should
> change.

Hi Ian,

The term dialog has been used in accessibility API for well over a decade
and is
a common short name for a dialog box found in GUIs. We also wanted
something shorter than
dialog_box. This was our rationale.

> However, as noted before, I'm fine with neither changing; I was only
> raising this issue because it was one of the issues on my list of
feedback
> and I was interested in working with the WAIPF on this issue to see if it

> would be possible for the WAIPF to consider changing the keyword instead.

We appreciate that. We now have considerable implementation support at this
time and developers
who have used it are happy with it.

All the best,
Rich