WAI-ARIA: 5.2.4. Value

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 13:53:35 +0200
To: "public-pfwg-comments@w3.org" <public-pfwg-comments@w3.org>
I think for authors it would make much more sense here to reuse datatypes
 from HTML or SVG.

Speficially NMTOKENS and IDREFS do not work as described in HTML context
because HTML does not do whitespace normalization of attribute values.
Neither does the DOM for that matter. E.g.

   aria-labelledby="a
b"

does not match the IDREFS production. It is highly unlikely anyone would
implement it that way though and it is also confusing to authors because
e.g.

   headers="a
b"

does work perfectly fine and as expected.

Similar attributes that take "true" and "false" as values in HTML such as
contenteditable="" and spellcheck="" also take the empty string (meaning
true) and match in an ASCII case-insensitve way. They do not take 0 and 1
as allowed values. I think it would be much better to align with that.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/