Re: proposed ARIA role for math [DRAFT 1]

I don't know the answers to all these questions. Can you come to the next
phone meeting so we can discuss them?

Rich will have to say why he wanted to leave it open-ended. I guess I'm
with you -- I'd rather have it up front.

My example probably had incorrect syntax -- I don't personally even know
the difference between TeX and LaTeX, which is why I'm trying to ping Neil
Soiffer here for feedback as well.

- Aaron

"Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>
03/06/2008 11:16 AM

Aaron M Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS
cc
brewer@w3.org, "Neil Soiffer" <Neils@dessci.com>, neil.soiffer@gmail.com,
"Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org,
unagi69@concentric.net, w3c-wai-pf@w3.org, w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org
Subject
Re: proposed ARIA role for math [DRAFT 1]

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:16:01 +0100, Aaron M Leventhal
<aleventh@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> In general we agreed with what you say below on the last PF call.
> However,
> some felt that specifying TeX or whatever should be a best practice and
> not in the spec.

But how do you implement it? Should the UA autodetect whether it's TeX or
LaTeX or something else? How are authors supposed to know what to write?
How do we achieve interoperability? What's the advantage of leaving it
open-ended?

> See the thread I started called 'New role="math" in ARIA, how to author
> and how browser would expose it'
> In that thread we're discussing some of the remaining issues, and you
can
> see the current definition.

The current definition doesn't seem to handle:

    <object role="math" data="foo">a^2+b^2=c^2</object>

Also, when would it be better to have the expression in another element
than as text in the element itself (i.e. when is labelledby needed for
role=math)?

Finally, I don't know (La)TeX very good, but shouldn't $ or $$ be implied
around the expression?

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software