Re: Thanks! Re: Runnable suggestion of ARIA in HTML5 document conformance integration

Well, irrelevant could easily mean grayed out (disabled). That would make
since that's how relevant works in XForms.

- Aaron

Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
04/01/2008 11:35 AM

Aaron M Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>, public-pfwg-comments@w3.org, W3C
WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Subject

On Apr 1, 2008, at 17:26, Aaron M Leventhal wrote:
> > * The live region states and properties are used without an explicit
> > role on span. Perhaps it would make sense to move the live region
> > states and properties to global states and properties.
> Totally agree. Anything can be live. I believe the current internal
> draft has that as a feature:
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/aria/

It seems that Member-only areas of w3.org aren't working for me today.
Anyway, before this access control glitch, I chose not to implement
according to the Member-only draft in order to avoid leaking secrets
in the public source code of Validator.nu. It would be nice if the
Editor's Drafts were public.

> > * Of the states and properties I opted not to support in this draft,
> > aria-hidden is actually used by the demos. Is it too late for
> > irrelevant? On the other hand, the other states and properties that
> Why not have HTML 5 use hidden? It's more obvious what it ,means.
> Irrelevant just sounds like the opposite of relevant from XForms,
> which definitely does not mean hidden -- it just means enabled.

'irrelevant' is a semantic fig leaf since 'hidden' is supposedly
presentational. I would prefer calling it 'hidden'. Also, others have
complained that 'irrelevant' is counter-intuitive and allegedly hard
to spell for native English writers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi