Re: 4 definitions for distractions

Hi Lisa,

This is pretty much where I had landed as well - slightly different
language but your's is fine too. Comments in line:

moving:  Non-essential distracting content that includes movement. This
includes: computer-generated moving images; content that  starts
automatically or is automatically updating; and elements that change
locations on the screen without user interaction.

Question: Does this also include 'autostart' videos, and animated GIFs? If
yes to either, should we capture tah in the language?

messages: Communication sent to or left for the user or the interface that
allows interaction of text-based messages. Messages may also be
automaticaly updating. Essential system messages should not be tagged as
distractions.

I am concerned that this may be too vague. (What is "communication for the
interface"?) If this is intended to cover off real-time communications
(chatbots, etc.) then we should say so more explicitly. Previously, we had
a value of "Chat" with the following definition: "An embedded real-time
communication that may or may not be initiated by the user. This includes
but is not limited to WebRTC." I think we should be focused on the
"real-time" nature of the distraction more.

overlay: A part of an application or content that is non essential and
displayed over the top of the main content in the same window such as a
popup or child window that blocks user interaction to the parent window

Hmmm.... Might I suggest the following:
Overlay: Part of an application or content that is displayed over the top
of the main content in a secondary window, that blocks user interaction to
the parent window.

third-party: An advertisement or offer for a product, feature or service or
content that is not under the authors' control, that is not essential to
the user's current task.

The most discussed of the values under consideration. I am fine with this
definition.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good