Re: Possibility of moving Personalization Semantics out of ARIA and into APA

Hi Lisa,

I think there is a fundamental difference between what ARIA seeks to
accomplish, and what the Personalization work is setting out to do. With
ARIA, we have a number of attributes and values that map, one-to-one, with
existing Accessibility APIs. Yet the Personalization work is increasingly
reliant on something fundamentally different: a rich metadata taxonomy. I
personally see the difference as between "what" versus "why".

ARIA-like notation *might* be one way of solving the larger Personalization
problem, but there is some evidence to suggest it may not be: the original
proposal that came forth from the working group saw originally a large
(most said "too" large) collection of newly proposed ARIA attributes. That
approach was widely criticized (around the same time-frame as TPAC 2015 in
Sapporo) as being to onerous and too confusing to content owners and
authors. That then morphed to a collection of coga-* attributes, that many
felt suffered the same basic issues. The latest Personalization draft has
again replaced the coga-* notation with the more recent aui-* notation, and
a significantly fewer number of attributes. Some are questioning if even 6
or 7 new attributes are too much however, and more importantly , the latest
draft is looking at other means of attaching the metadata to content (above
and beyond aui-* notation, such as Microdata, JSON, and RDF / RDFa).

I see these advances as positive steps, and in discussion with many,
working on the rich taxonomy of metadata values (and issues related to
globally sharing that taxonomy) is and remains the greatest task, and the
mechanism for attaching that metadata is something that can and will be
worked out as our taxonomy gets firmer.

By moving this Personalization work from out under the ARIA Working Group,
it will actually free the group to be more 'creative' - we are not tied to
the need of using more attributes, nor of ARIA-style notation. It gives the
Personalisation activity more latitude, but (and this is the more important
part, IMHO), by moving it under APA, it ensures that the same level of
support from the W3C remains in place.

Lisa, at the end of the day, I think what is more important is to continue
getting this work done. Which (virtual) office building we enter, or
(virtual) desk we sit at, is, for the most part, secondary to the larger
goal of continuing forward movement. I see that commitment in the proposal
to decouple Personalization from the ARIA WG and move that Task Force to
the APA WG - it should have very little impact on the day-to-day activities
of the TF, and it is a firm commitment (including the financial support)
from the W3C to continue moving forward.

I see this as nothing more than a procedural re-org, to better align the
work to what is actually happening day-to-day.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist