>From : Amihai Miron<amihai@user1st.com>
To : "lisa.seeman"<lisa.seeman@zoho.com>
Cc : <public-personalization-tf@w3.org>,"Thad C"<inclusivethinking@gmail.com>,"McSorley"<jan.mcsorley@pearson.com>,"Butler"<shari.butler@pearson.com>,"ding c. (cd8e10)"<cd8e10@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date : Mon, 20 Nov 2017 12:41:00 +0200
Subject : The ARIA Personalization Task Force - For purpose of controls, more terms are needed
============ Forwarded message ============

Hello,
Following a request I have sent to WCAG2.1 (https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/586) , I am adding the group to the same required, with some additional insights into what user1st has learned, and would be interested to explore via the group.

 Based on our research, we learned that some users are interested in the ability to control the screen. We collected this information from 3 of our customers.  Having to participate in the COGA group, I believe that there is a clear need for more terms to be added. For those 3 customers, we are looking into the means to implement it over their websites.
 We believe the following terms should be in used for
 A>    links list (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-conventional-links): Top, Bottom, Start, End, Related (gallery of products, one of the products - may have a related products), Page map, New, down (scroll down), up (scroll up)
 B>     Buttons and controls list (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-conventional-buttons-or-controls) : Call (for any voice communication needs), Connect (for any voice communication needs), Release (similar to Esc), Mute (for any voice communication needs), Settings (general), Comment (general), Collapse (verse expand), Open popup, Open window, Download, Upload, Share, drag (in case the button needs to be dragged right or left top or bottom), next step (1/4).
 In addition, we learned that customers are confronted with user interface challenges, in 2 major aspects:
 1.       Present tooltip instructions:
 a.       In the event of an element or widget doesn’t behave as a standard browser element (e.g. button, link, select, input), elements/widgets such as tab-control, date-picker, drag and drop inputs, etc. There is a clear need for instructions to the cognitive user, how to use this element / widget.
 b.       In the event of an element or widget doesn’t present the same information as the hidden information presented to the screen reader user, such: aria-label / aria-labeledby / alt / title. A tooltip for cognitive disabilities, may have the necessary impact.
 Some examples
 A>    Images that have embedded text as banners and advertisement, and written in a way that may be difficult for a cognitive disability to be read (also visual disabilities are impacted), an additional tooltip may explain the same concept in different words, or in the same words but disconnected from the image related to the text.
 B>     Data table sorting and filtering over the table row headers, may be confusing and unclear, unless a tooltip is added to the table with explanations how it should be used.
 C>     Tab control, may look like set of buttons, but will influence the visibility of sections,
 2.       Action expected results:
 a.       As some cognitive disabled users press radio/checkbox/select buttons, if there is no “Confirmation notification” that the page is about to be refreshed, they tend to feel disoriented. Therefore, we recommend that every refresh that is not being created by a link, will need to be added with a Confirmation notification saying “the page is about to refresh, do you confirm YES/NO”.

 b.       Some websites are using a steps to complete process. Many cognitive users tend to feel disoriented if the name and step # isn’t presented e.g. step 1 /4 , OR (Next 1/3 next step: registration). We recommend to provide such information.
  Thank you,
Amihai

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM, lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com> wrote:
Hi Folks

For tomorrow's call please try and complete the survey for this week.

Preliminary agenda:
Which sections should we focus on?
Do we want it as a vocabulary?

Let me know if you would like me to add anything else to the agenda that you would like us to discuss.

The  teleconference information is at : call info - personalization
Time:
1 pm Eastern Time

8 pm  IST
6 pm UK Time

 IRC access
 An IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channel will be available during the call. (The server is  irc.w3.org ,The port number is 6665 )

 IRC made simple:
 IRC is like our chat room. You can join us on IRC simply by clicking on  http://irc.w3.org/?channels=personalization

 The channel is #personalization
 You can write any name as a nickname

 Now you can chat while we talk.

 Other Information (less important)

 Resources and useful links

our home page
Teleconferences of the Working Group and its task forces (also see meeting minutes);    Face to face meetings (also see face to face meeting pages);

mailing list archives

IRCC discussion on the #personalization IRC channel, used largely for minute-taking;

Personalization Semantics 1.0 (Personalization Semantics 1.0 Editors' Draft). See also the Personalization Semantics Task Force GitHub repository.

Wiki;

Web-Based Surveys (WBS);

personalization-semantics source repository issue tracker.

http://diagramcenter.org/personalizedlearning.html

WCAG SC
https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/6

https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/support-personalization_ISSUE-6/guidelines/sc/21/purpose-of-controls.html

https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/support-personalization_ISSUE-6/guidelines/sc/21/contextual-information.html

Demo
https://github.com/ayelet-seeman/coga.personalisation
https://rawgit.com/ayelet-seeman/coga.personalisation/demo/conactUs.html

 * Some helpful Scribing and Participation Tips
 http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Teleconference_cheat_sheet

 - For more on W3C use of IRC see:
 http://www.w3.org/Project/IRC/

 All the best