Re: Top level .htaccess file

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Robert Stuart <robert.j.stuart@ugov.gov> wrote:
> I would like w3id.org/ic to match case insensitive. I think it could be done
> with a top level .htaccess file that looked like:
>
> ##########################
> RewriteRule ^IC/?(.*)$  ic/$1 [NC]
> ##########################
> rewrite any case of IC Ic iC to ic
> not fire on any of the existing directories nor would it fire on ic
> would not fire on a future directory like ice
> would only fire when there was no directory that matched exactly existing.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for handling case differences.
If just one case is used won't clients just fail and get fixed if they
use the wrong thing?  I would guess that's how most of the semantic
web identifier use cases work.

I suppose no one knows what to do here.  I don't know what the limits
are of what this project should support right now.  I'm sure this
simple rule won't be a problem today, but it just adds something that
would need to be handled if the server changes technology.  Apache was
just the quickest means to an end when we started.  Who knows what it
might evolve into as the service grows.  These issues can be handled
but it may add complexity if we implement some new non-Apache system.
Maybe the entire system should just be case insensitive by default?
Do all the redirects and let the target handle what they want.

I don't know the internals of Apache, but I'm guessing any top level
rules still have to be checked for every path.  Maybe it's smart
enough to mostly avoid that.  Not really an issue at the current low
load but if everyone wants NC rules maybe it matters.

Thoughts anyone?

-dave