Re: Problems and Opportunities at purl.org

Yeah, that sounds good.. rules.csv would be processed only if there is
no .htaccess at all, or one with an existing DO NOT MODIFY block.  If
the block goes away.. so does the auto-generation.

If I start hacking on this, what is available on the machine that can
run the hook? I used Python 3, is that OK? Is that maintainable by the
rest of you, or do you prefer something else?

As for what happens with in-place replacing, we can do it via
temporary file with an atomic move in the end, that's best in case it
goes down mid-way through the update as well. (Sadly it's not possible
to do a atomic swap - so you would still be exposed for half a
millisecond between deleting .htaccess and linking .htaccess.12981982
to .htaccess -- but git update would be having similar glitch
milliseconds).

Or if it's commiting back, then it could be two separate steps.. which
is probably good in case someone breaks their CSV file - then the old
.htaccess remains - yet the other .htaccess files can still be
updated.