Re: Publishing new vocabularies - which resolver service

In my view, running your own domain name is the best option. ANDS
already has persistence as a core idea although, irony of ironies, I
notice that links I have in some of my work to your guidance on
persistent identifiers leads to, yes, 404s :-( (see
http://philarcher.org/diary/2013/uripersistence/#ands and the links to
things like http://ands.org.au/guides/persistent-identifiers-awareness.html)

Set up a domain that doesn't mention any organisational name, set it up
for one job only - to provide permanent URIs - and make it transferable.
id.org.au seems to be available at the moment, for example.

purl.org was set up as *the* solution, thus creating a single point of
failure - which is now close to failure. Relying on someone else's
centralised system, be it purl or DOI, leaves you susceptible to their
future failures. Stepping in would mean taking on responsibility for
other people's redirections as well are your own. So be decentralised,
use the Web, look after your own needs.

My 2 cents.

Phil.

--