Re: Call for Consensus to Remove regionCode from Payment Request API - Review requested by 24 January

Hi David,
Just wanted to clarify in the hope of changing your vote...

> On Jan 18, 2019, at 2:30 AM, David Benoit <benoit@withreach.com> wrote:
>
> Vote: Reach does not support the proposal to remove "regionCode" from the API.
> Justification:  Address verification systems, though not supported worldwide, rely on standardized input for addresses, including the region.  Though not all countries have regions, there should be a standardized method of including this field as input for those countries that do.

I agree with this 100%: region codes are super important and definitely something that needs to be part of the spec in the long term. The challenge is that it's a non-trivial amount of work to implement correctly in the timeframe that we'd like to get the spec to W3C Recommendation.

As Ian mentioned, the idea is to do a *temporary removal* of this feature to get us passed CR and allow us to publish a W3C REC. Then we would immediately bring it back after we publish and to continue to encourage implementers to support it properly (i.e., that would be part of the Payment Request API v1.1 feature set).