Re: Call for Consensus to Publish a Group Note- RESPONSE REQUESTED by 29 November 2017

On November 16, 2017 at 8:35:18 AM, Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org) wrote:
> Based on consensus at our November face-to-face meeting [1], this is a Call for Consensus
> to publish the following specification as a Group Note rather than advancing it to Recommendation
> status:
>
> Web Payments HTTP API 1.0
> https://www.w3.org/TR/webpayments-http-api/

I'm supportive on the proviso that the spec is "gutted" (see [1], for
example). The working group is already using Note status to  signal
"this spec is mature" for Payment Methods (e.g., Basic Card). As such,
it would send the wrong signal to publish this as a Note when we have
no intention of working on it in the medium term.

Having said that, the spec could continue to live happily on Github as
an Editor's draft - though we should add a big red note telling the
community that we are not working on it.

> There was also consensus to:
> 1) keep in-scope for our next charter a payment request message structure for out-of-browser
> payments.
> 2) add a liaison to the IETF’s HTTP WG for discussion of HTTP-initiated payment requests.

Sounds fine - but we should put some kind of time limit on it. If we
don't commit to working on it by the next recharter, we should really
drop it or hand it to a community group to incubate it (my preference
is that that we hand it to a community group now).

So, my position is:

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/contacts-api/