Re: [Agenda] Tokenization task force call on 9 May 2017

Ian,

I think it would be useful to understand the full lifestyle of these
different tokens so it's clearer who can issue and process them.

With that clarity it becomes easier to determine where standardisation
provides value.

It also helps to understand who the various participants are that are
involved and how the payment method must accommodate them.

Is that lifestyle documented anywhere?

Adrian

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 7:34 PM Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The tokenization task force will meet tomorrow, 9 May, from 11:30amET to
> noon ET.
>
> Call information:
>  https://www.w3.org/2017/04/tokenization-tf.ics
>
> We will meet on irc.w3.org in #wpwg.
>
> At the last meeting [3] there was definitely interest in discussing and
> better understanding three token types (network, issuer, gateway).
> Sachin took an action item to create some sequence diagrams for network
> and gateway tokens. If those diagrams are ready for
> tomorrow’s call, they will help inform the discussion.
>
> Agenda:
>
>  * Getting clarity around what problem we want to solve. For discussion
> purposes, here are some topics that we might
>    be trying to address:
>
>      - Reducing checkout page code complexity by creating a common data
> abstraction across network, issuer, and gateway
>        tokens. Roy points out that the original draft of the tokenization
> spec [2] included all three token types but there was
>        pushback on the utility of including gateway tokens. What we heard
> at last week’s call and at the Chicago FTF meeting
>        is that people also want us to address gateway tokens, so we need
> to figure out what that means concretely.
>
>     - Moving checkout page tokenization to payment apps. Would that
> increase security? Would parties tokenizing in libraries
>       on the merchant side today see value in earlier tokenization in
> payment apps?
>
>     - Not yet discussed, but worth adding to this thread: in-browser
> tokenization. Any interest? Value?
>
>     - W3C standard tokenization format. My sense is that this is not what
> people have thought we would be doing; I mention
>       it here mostly to get confirmation.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ian
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/2017/05/02-wpwg-minutes.html
> [2]
> https://cdn.rawgit.com/w3c/webpayments/61843821cb991a06610cb97e564c16b7b644574c/proposals/tokenized_cards.html
> [3] https://www.w3.org/2017/05/02-wpwg-minutes.html
> --
> Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
> https://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
> Tel: +1 718 260 9447
>

> --
Sent from a mobile device, please excuse any typos