Re: Authenticating Merchants

On 2/22/17 01:58, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> Merchant authentication seems to have two primary goals:
> 1) giving the Payment Provider a chance to block a payment request
> because the Merchant has been black-listed.

The current specification does pass along the (authenticated) origin of
the payment requester. This origin could be used as input to any kind of
desired whitelist/blacklist scheme.

> 2) if authentication is performed through a digital signature, verify
> that the payment request haven't been tampered with.

By whom? I've heard this mentioned a couple of times already, but always
in a hand-wavy kind of way. Describe, concretely, the attack you are
attempting to avoid.

--
Adam Roach
Principal Engineer, Mozilla