Re: Thoughts on Native Payments

On 2016-07-06 03:47, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> Adam Roach <abr@mozilla.com>, 2016-07-05 16:54 -0500:

Well, this topic is by no means new, it has been mentioned (primarily by me...),
but has to date been dismissed (or ignored) by the TAG, WebApps, and WebAppSec WGs
since it is not the "Open Web".

FWIW, Mozilla and Microsoft run a little-known W3C CG for this purpose:
https://www.w3.org/community/browserext/

The CG currently proposes something which is a clone of Chrome's native messaging:
https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/nativeMessaging#native-messaging-host

However, "in-browser" extensions and calling external applications are two entirely
different use-cases.  That they also have equally different security considerations
IMHO, makes it more logical running these as separate missions.

Although constraining native applications to the Web Payment API may be simpler (?),
I wouldn't take that path.

Below is a enhanced variant of native messaging which is "liberated" from
the generic browser extension scheme:
https://github.com/cyberphone/web2native-bridge#api
You can even test it if you want:
https://test.webpki.org/webpay-merchant/home
The PC client (Win/Mac/Lin) uses a multi-step SPA (Singe Page Application)
which also shows how much cleaner things get (on both the merchant side and
in the native application) if you are not forced using HTTP POST like required
by the Android implementation.

Anders