Re: PROPOSAL regarding JSON-LD material

On 02/11/2016 10:29 AM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> See below on the sort of language that leads to my confusion.

Ok, good, I think I understand where the communication gap was... more
below.

> As I mentioned previously, I am not hearing that we are actively
> seeking other input on extensibility. Our focus is on JSON-LD
> extensibility. I think we should stay focused on that.

I think limiting the extensibility discussion to /only/ JSON-LD wouldn't
be healthy. For example, I'd like to hear from the editor's from the
browser manufacturers about their extensibility story for the payment
messages as would I welcome input from the ISO20022 wrt. their
extensibility needs/stories. That said, only so many hours in the day,
so I'm fine w/ focusing on extensibility via JSON-LD for now and then
welcoming any other extensibility proposals as folks have time.

> When you write “ (as one of potentially many extensibility stories -
>  this is a bad idea, but I'm compromising here)” it suggests quite
> strongly that you think there should only be one extensibility
> mechanism. I believe my confusion about your expectations is grounded
> in this sort of assertion.

Yes, I can understand why that would be confusing and I apologize for
that. My current proposal to the group is a compromise.

I do think (very strongly) that there should only be one RECOMMENDED
extensibility story. That said, I know that's difficult for people in
this group to come to grips, especially since it's with a technology
that they're not yet familiar. So, the suggestion has been to make
JSON-LD /one/ extensibility story among many. This has been my position
for a while now.

My experience in standards over the last decade or so is that when
you're not clear about your extensibility story, you get one of at least
two things:

1) no one extends in an interoperable way because they come
   up with their own thing. Then they sit around waiting for W3C to
   tell them some interoperability rules, or

2) lack of innovation due to very limiting constraints in the standard.

By not being clear about our extensibility story, I'm concerned that at
least one of those two things are going to happen.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/