Re: Checkout API spec published

I see the value of the JSON-LD document as being able to link the messages
used by the API to the wider ecosystem of offers and receipts and showing
how using JSON-LD to extend these models will enable them to be reused
outside of the browser API.

I think this would be a first for any W3C recommended browser API and would
be a valuable way to connect the very strictly typed and rigid world of
browser APIs to the more fluid and extensible semantic web ecosystem.

In fact, it may be an interesting experiment to look at another API such as
Geolocation and consider what such a document would look like as a
companions to that API. I believe the appropriate ontologies already exist?

So if the browser API spec is a dependency of the JSON-LD document (and not
the other way around) and the use of JSON-LD is not mandated then what is
the rationale behind having a normative reference from the browser API spec
to the JSON-LD document?