Re: Checkout API spec published

> On Feb 8, 2016, at 3:21 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/08/2016 11:05 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
>> When combined with the revised browser API proposal from the CG it
>> seems to tick many of the boxes we want to cover.
>
> That was what we were attempting to do, so it's nice to see some
> validation on the attempt, thanks AdrianHB. :)
>
>> Would it not make sense for the Extensibility section of the browser
>> API to stand alone in it's own document that describes the full
>> end-to-end flow of data from semantic markup of an offer in a search
>> result to payment to receipt email with semantic markup?
>
> It would if:
>
> 1. The reference to the Messages spec from the browser-based API specs
>   was normative.

It is not appropriate to have a normative reference to material that is not required
for conformance.

> 2. There was a Messages / Extensibility specification that was
>   REC-track.
>
> If those two things happen, then we could take the section out and put
> it elsewhere, but only if we're clear about how all of this is
> interpreted as JSON-LD.
>
> To put it another way, it's a part of the narrative, it's clear what we
> mean, and there is normative language around JSON-LD.
>
> What we don't want is to point to some informative note on how to extend
> the messages using JSON-LD because that won't lead to interoperability.

I do not believe we understand the ecosystem well enough to require JSON-LD.

I support the idea of a standalone specification as a way to build the conversation
around the use of JSON-LD. However, I believe it should be labeled as the beginning
of a conversation, rather than a set of rules that must be followed.

Ian

>> I can imagine at least 5 documents that we could produce on the back
>> of this work:
>
> #1-#4 seem just fine to me. I don't have an opinion on #5 (card payments
> spec) because I don't really know how that spec would work.
>
> -- manu

> Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
> blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
> https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447