Re: Payments request cryptocurrencies support

Thank you for the response.

> Is there an organization that the bitcoin community, for example, could accept as hosting the URL?

The idea of Bitcoin is to avoid central authority. There some communities that support project like https://bitcoin.org/en/ <https://bitcoin.org/en/>, but they can’t be official representatives. Same with most of other cryptocurrencies. For example, now for interaction between merchants and payment apps in Bitcoin special URL scheme <https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0020.mediawiki> is used, but no one can control what apps can implement this scheme. I tend to believe that cryptocurrencies support can be implemented like https://www.w3.org/TR/payment-method-basic-card/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/payment-method-basic-card/>.

For last few weeks I was thinking about how we can implement the standard interface for cryptocurrency payments between native merchant apps and payment apps on Android and iOS. Making it work with Payment Request API will be a great option. So I am really interested in adding cryptocurrencies into Payment Request standard.

May I create an issue on https://github.com/w3c/payment-request <https://github.com/w3c/payment-request> to open discussion?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org <mailto:ij@w3.org>> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 9:51 AM, Ярослав Панасенко <yar.panasenko@gmail.com <mailto:yar.panasenko@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I just went throw Payment Request API documentation and I have some questions about it.

Hi Ярослав, thank you for reaching out.

> Are you planning to add different cryptocurrencies, for example, Bitcoin as Standardized Payment Method?

Right now there are no plans for W3C to publish a cryptocurrency payment method.

> Cryptocurrencies don’t have any central website or something like this, so we can’t use URL-based payment method identifier for it.

You could use one or more URL-based payment method identifiers. I am interested in the discussion of whether that is socially
workable. Is there an organization that the bitcoin community, for example, could accept as hosting the URL?

> How will Payment Request  API will handle situation when merchant want to provide different price for each payment method?

It is possible to use the PaymentDetailsModifier [1] with different payment method identifiers.

[1] https://w3c.github.io/payment-request/#paymentdetailsmodifier-dictionary <https://w3c.github.io/payment-request/#paymentdetailsmodifier-dictionary>

> Thank you for your time.

I look forward to hearing whether I have answered (at least some of) your questions.

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org <mailto:ij@w3.org>>
https://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/ <https://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/>