Re: Proposal for XSD data schema backward compatibility

Let me elaborate on the implications of this proposal... this breaks
our backwards compatibility guidelines. This is an issue in the
following cases:

- Web sites that use P3P 1.0 custom schema (very few, the only one we
could think of was ibm.com) will not have P3P policies that will be
readable by P3P 1.1 user agents (unless those user agents voluntarily
build in backwards compatibility).

- Web sites that create P3P 1.1 policies with custom schema will not be
readable by P3P 1.0 user agents that look at data elements (Privacy
Bird, JRC, etc... this will probably not be a problem for IE6 or
Netscape 7 because they don't appear to look at the data element level,
but I could be wrong).

I really don't like the idea of breaking backwards compatibility,
however, these cases are rare enough that I'm not sure its a big deal.
On the other hand, given how rare these cases are, we might argue its
also not worth making this change... so I guess I'm still on the fence.
The other alternative we discussed was providing a transform for the
schema file itself from the new format back to the old. Giles felt this
would be fairly difficult, although I don't think impossible, and it
may be something Serge can help with.

I guess I want to see laid out the arguments as to why it is
advantageous to make this change so we can have a discussion about
whether it is worth breaking backwards compatibility for it.

Lorrie

p.s Giles, please go ahead and add those items at the end to bugzilla