Re: linked

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:28:41 -0500
To: 'public-p3p-spec' <public-p3p-spec@w3.org>

Here is a redraft based on our discussion on the call. I think we're
getting closer but may not be quite there yet... send me your
suggestions.

The language I am proposing is intended to exclude the possibility that
writing a piece of data to a log file that contains a cookie will make
the data linked, unless the log file is later analyzed or processed so
as to cause that data to be written to a cookie, retrieved from a data
store, or added to (another) record, data structure, or file containing
that data.

Anyway... here is my latest effort:

least one of the following activities may take place as a result of
cookie Y being replayed, immediately upon cookie replay or at some
future time (perhaps as a result of retrospective analysis or
processing of server logs):</p>

<ul>
<li>A cookie containing X is set or reset.</li>

<li>X is retrieved from a persistent data store or archival media.</li>

<li>Information identifiable with the user -- including but not
limited to data entered into forms, IP address, clickstream data, and
client events -- is added to a record, data structure, or file (other
than a log file) in which X is stored. </li>
</ul>