Re: Art 10: Issue 3 - cookies

On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 03:09 AM, Giles Hogben wrote:

> Here are the latest suggested changes (the guidelines text has changed
> quite
> a lot so please check):
>
> Text for 2.3.2.7.
> -----------------
> Add:
> User agents evaluating cookies SHOULD apply the results of a preference
> match on the cookie's policy before setting the cookie.

How about

User agents that evaluate cookie polices SHOULD perform this evaluation
before setting a cookie.

> Text for guidelines
> -------------------
> Certain jurisdictions view the storage of cookies on a user's hard
> drive as
> an act of data processing. In such jurisdictions (e.g. the EU),
> policies
> should always be evaluated before a cookie is set and cookies should
> not be
> stored unless the cookie's policy is found to comply with the user's
> preferences.

In my mail on Issue 1 I had suggested a section called "Timing of
Notices to Users"... now I'm thinking the section should be "Timing of
Policy Evaluation and Notice to Users" ... then we can include this
paragraph at the end of that section.