P3P Generic attribute

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:46:35 +0200
To: public-xml-id@w3.org
Cc: "'public-p3p-spec'" <public-p3p-spec@w3.org>, Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@cs.cmu.edu>
Dear all,

as unique identifiers have the potential to be privacy invasive,
to even create a lot of issues for those who use them,
please look into P3P [1] and EPAL [2].

In P3P 1.1 we have established a P3P - attribute to be used
in such cases. It allows other XML Schema (and Interface)
builders to address privacy in using P3P in a specific way.
This means also constraining the use of P3P in a certain way
as it is used with a certain specification. An example of how this
could be done can be found in a Team note on using P3P
in the context of Web Services [3]

I and Lorrie Cranor, the chair of the P3P Working Group,  will
be available for any further question. You can send questions
to our public mailing-list: public-p3p-spec@w3.org or to our
member-only list w3c-p3p-specification@w3.org. We will try to
answer them promptly.

 1. http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P11/
 2. http://www.w3.org/Submission/EPAL/
 3. http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/p3p-wsdl/

Best,
--
Rigo Wenning            W3C/ERCIM
Legal Advisor             Privacy Activity Lead