RE: Cookie linking v3

Giles,

I agree with your first part but you lost me on the triangulation from 2
domains.  I don't think that this type of triangulation is really all that
likely a scenario, remembering that Domains A and B are likely separate
entities with separate web servers with no practical means of linking that
cookie they each receive come from the same user (unless they have somehow
coordinated to set the same unique_id).  I see where you are going with
referrer and while that may give you a guess it would be a far fetched one.

I also agree with your analysis of domain level cookies.  I think this has
always been a real thorn in the side of P3P.  I will make a broad
generalization here, and feel free to shoot it down, - most large domains
and nearly all corporate domains outsource at least one or two hosts on
their domain and additionally maintain exceptionally little control of their
internal hosts (bobjones.company.com).  Here is another broad generalization
- many, many corporate domains set a domain level unique id cookie which
they claim to be pseudonymous.  I would venture a guess that that the
majority of these folks also have a corporate intranet on the same domain
that requires authentication usually via REMOTE_USER.  So now what is being
logged on the intranet: REMOTE_USER and DOMAIN COOKIE!!!  Opps looks like
Domain cookie is no longer anonymous.  I think that what all this points to
is, sadly, true accuracy and compliancy are beyond the efforts that most
implementers are taking at this time.

-Brooks