W3C

The Platform for Privacy Preferences 1.1 (P3P1.1):
Specification of Statement Grouping (WG.SG)

W3C Working Draft 22 May 2002

This version:
TBD
$Revision: 1.1 $ on $Date: 2003/05/22 09:45:31 $ GMT by $Author: rigo $
Latest version:
TBD
Previous version:
NA
Editor
Matthias Schunter, IBM
Authors
Lorrie Cranor, AT&T
Matthias Schunter, IBM

Abstract

The Statement Grouping task force will consider the creation of a mechanism that will allow for Web sites to indicate a set of practices that can be grouped together based on how the user interacts with the Web site (e.g. a register member, a seller on an auction Web site, etc) and how opt-in or opt-out choices may be applied to these groups. This document describes a draft proposal how to group consent choices. The basic idea we propose is to add a <STATEMENT-GROUP id = "somename" /> extension to the <STATEMENT> where all statements with the same statement-group id can only be displayed and opted in or out of together. The will also be the addition of a <STATEMENT-GROUP-DEF id="somename" short-description="somename's description" consent = "opt-in" /> extension to the <POLICY> that will define the group description to be displayed in the agents P3P viewer and the consent type for this practice. The numbering of the sections is the corresponding numbering of the P3P 1.0 Specification.

Status of This Document

This is an editors' draft with no standing.

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
  2. Statement
    1. Statement that belongs to a Consent Group (P3P 1.1)

1. Introduction

This document describes statement and policy extensions that aim at grouping statements for readability and consent. This is the output of the P3P 1.1 Working Group on Statement Grouping (SG). The changes we propose are to add an extension sub-element to statement that specifies the id for a group of statements and to add an extension sub-element to policy that specifies the textual description of this grouping and its consent mechanism.

Editor's Note: I am not sure how we want to specify P3P 1.1. I see two choices:

Since I feel that the latter is nicer for the readers, I temporarily opted for this approach, i.e., Section 3.3 is a copy from P3P where I've marked all P3P 1.1 extensions in red.

3.3 Statements

[here go the other sub-chapters of the P3P 1.0 spec]

3.3.7 Statement that belongs to a Statement Group (P3P 1.1)

All statements that contain the same id in their statement-group extensions belong together.

<STATEMENT-GROUP>
an element inside the <EXTENSION> sub-element of a <STATEMENT>. This element that identifies a statement group. Each statement MUST have at most one statement-group extension.
id
This attribute contains a string that identifies a statement group.
[xx]
sg-extension
=
"<EXTENSION>
  <STATEMENT-GROUP id=" quotedstring ">
</EXTENSION>"

For example, an enterprise allows to choose whether your phone and email can be used by yourself for marketing. However, once you allow your data to be used for marketing by itself, the collector requires that you allow it to forward the data to third parties for telemarketing as well.

<STATEMENT>
  <EXTENSION>
    <STATEMENT-GROUP id = "fflyer" />
  </EXTENSION>
  . . .
</STATEMENT>

X.X Policy

[here go the other sub-chapters of the P3P 1.0 spec]

3.3.7 Definition of a Statement Group (P3P 1.1)

All statements-group-def extensions have an id that matches the statement-group extensions together. This means that these statements will all be grouped together in the P3P viewer and all elements with required="opt-in" or with required="opt-out" can only be opted together. A user may not be allowed by the recipient to opt for a subset of these elements. When parsing the agent will look for a consent attribute in the statement-group-def extension and use that as the consent type even if the required attribute is set on another element in the statement.

<STATEMENT-GROUP-DEF>
an element inside the <EXTENSION> sub-element of a <POLICY>. This element that identifies a statement group and its description and consent method. Each Statement-Group MUST have at least one statement-group-def extension . It policy can have multiple Statement-group-def extentions
id
This attribute contains a string that identifies a statement group.
[xx]
sg-extension
=
"<EXTENSION>
  <STATEMENT-GROUP-DEF id=" quotedstring "
  short-description=" quotedstring "
  consent = "opt-in or opt-out" />
 </EXTENSION>"
<POLICY>
 <EXTENSION>
  <STATEMENT-GROUP-DEF id="fflyer"
  short-description="Frequent Flyer Club"