Re: UA: demographic translations

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:08:34 -0500
Cc: public-p3p-spec@w3.org
To: "Humphrey, Jack" <JHumphrey@coremetrics.com>

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 06:49  PM, Humphrey, Jack wrote:

> I just noticed that IE translates the <demographic> element as:
> Demographic and socioeconomic data, such as gender, age, and income,
> not
> tied to an identifiable person.
>
> That last part ("not tied to an identifiable person") troubles me.
> Nothing
> in P3P 1.0 indicates that is the meaning of the demographic element,
> unless
> I'm missing something.
>
> I notice that the Privacy Bird and Netscape translations don't include
> any
> phrasing like this, too.

I find that curious as well.

> Also, while I'm on the topic, data like State and Zip Code also fall
> in the
> demographic category, but none of the translations mention them. I
> would
> guess that collecting region information is more often as or more
> common
> than collection gender, age, and income, so I would suggest that the
> translations include that in their translations, e.g. "such as
> geographic
> region, gender, age, or income".

As I recall, it was a rather late decision we made to change the
classification of state, postalcode, etc. to demographic (rather than
physical contact). That is indicated in section 5.5.6.1 but never
updated in the category definitions. Besides taking that into
consideration in our UA guidelines, perhaps we should mention that in
the definition of the demographic category in section 3.4? I'll add
that to bugzilla.

Lorrie